Thursday, March 28, 2013

Dissecting Dr. Sax

            In comparison to previous readings on the Beat Generation, Kerouac's Dr. Sax has been the most peculiar. Even Burroughs can be understood upon recognizing his lifestyle. I understand that Kerouac is known for reflection on the past, but I had trouble grasping the complex symbolism and use of fantastical creatures in order to convey his message. Most importantly, I am not sure that I retrieved the right message. Two themes that I hope I understood correctly from our classroom lecture are that evil is in everyone, and that everything is an illusion. I have not been able to wrap my mind around these concepts yet, so I will use this blog post in order to do so. Unfortunately, my lack of comprehension of this book has hindered my forming of a novel opinion on it.

            When Jackie Duluoz looks into the vast "lakes" of the Great Snake's eyes, he is apparently looking at himself. I see this more clearly in the use of the "lake" metaphor. While the cliché remains that the eyes are the windows to the soul, Jackie does not initially realize that he is looking at the snake's eyes. He is looking at a reflection of himself. As snakes represent evil in multiple cultures, Jackie is therefore seeing the evil in himself. Jackie's character previously represented the innocence of childhood, so, in seeing evil within himself, the rest of the world must also contain that evil. In understanding this theme, the means of delivery become less significant. All of the confusion of Dr. Sax was likely to express that the construction of the story is superfluous so long as the themes are understood. (Have I actually reached some enlightenment here?)

            This leads us to the concept of the illusion. Much of the story is obviously an illusion, as it is a mess of nonsensical fantasy intermingled with realistic childhood memories. However, by the end of the story, Kerouac apparently anticipates that the reader understands his theory that everything is an illusion, and that those who do not understand this are to remain pathetically stagnant in their lives. Is he solely criticizing religion at this point? If everything is an illusion, then I cannot help but to imagine a more spiritual perspective of our existence in dismissing the physical. Of course, he is dismissing everything, and not only the physical. In dissecting this idea, I fear that I will only end up with a mess of contradictory statements.

            Despite the lack of structure and a solid argument in this blog post, I feel that I have gotten a few inches closer to some understanding of Dr. Sax, and, honestly, my disorganization and confusion may even be fitting. I found these comic scribbles that Kerouac drew in consideration of Dr. Sax. At least he took himself seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment